Which does the worst damage to our society: drugs or the War on Drugs?
Evils of Drugs:
- Damage your brain/body
- Can cause emotional unstability
- Can be addictive
- When illegal, often cause violent gangs/drug dealers to form
Evils of the War on Drugs:
- Heightens the illegality of drugs, making those who traffic them more violent in protecting their assets
- Criminalizes a large portion of society who would otherwise not be guilty of any crime
- Tears apart families who have members (especially fathers) arrested for possessing drugs
- Makes felons of those found possessing drugs, resulting in their:
- losing the right to vote
- losing public benefits
- facing employment, housing, and loan discrimination for the rest of their lives
- facing public stigma for the rest of their lives
What do you think?